Saturday, December 10, 2005

More Doom and ranting

Continuing on the topic of Doom - no, not the crap disloyal movie, but the original classic and especially its music. I was asked to perform on a few songs on the Doom 2 remix project, and since usually remixes are pretty crappy similar to the loyalty of the movies I went out to check out the backgrounds of these dudes making the remakes of the classics. It seems like they have already done the same treatment for the first Doom and boy do the songs kick ass.

Check them out here, use the torrent file to save their bandwidth, please: http://doom.ocremix.org/

Doom was something what was über-hot when we were kids, fragging classmates with a 14.4k modem (which are now called dial-ups, because you need to go through the internet ;)) and even though I usually got my ass kicked, I have fond memories of those days. I royally suck in multiplayer FPS games, and I've actually never even specially liked multiplayer games in general.

I don't know about most people, but for me games are like books, they have a story and sometimes you even have the possibility to change it, although this trait seems to be endangered these days. I can't recall any new game where you could get so lost that you couldn't find your way back, unlike in oh so many adventure games of the mid-90's. Of course you can't get lost in a book, but when the games I like are similar to books (Sci-fi, Fantasy, Adventure, Strategy) - It's just stupid to play them head-to-head, since that would be like reading a book where people would constantly change what you're reading.

Speaking of good games - about a month ago I spent a weekend playing old Lucasarts' classics (by using SCUMMVM) and finished Sam&Max, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Fate of Atlantis. It was crazy how difficult some of the puzzles were and I was seriously wondering how the hell could I have played them through when I was a kid. Also it was pretty surprising to see how short and linear the games were - when they felt huge as a kid. But if they would have been books, they probably would have felt huge also. As the games I like are like books, it means that some games are also like good books, you can read them over and over again over a decent interval - such as the classics I just mentioned.

Still, there are some good games coming out once in a while. I just finished Splinter Cell - which was basically Thief in a modern environment and it was a really pleasant surprise, as was Halo. And yes, I'm pretty damn skeptical about new games, especially if they're made for the console.

But that's how it goes. By the way, Open Transport Tycoon kicks ass, but there just one bad thing, tool tips are missing. Quite annoying when being so used to them.

Until the next time, I think I'll be ranting about Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home